The Covid-19 crisis is an ever evolving situation with new information coming to light all the time.
As we prepare for an awesome summer in 2021, we will continue to do the following to ensure the safest environment possible:
- Continue to speak with our out of state friends in the industry who were able to operate successfully in 2020. Their experiences have been invaluable to our planning.
- Maintain our strong partnership with The American Camp Association, UJA, Foundation for Jewish Camp and the Wayne County Camp Alliance to ensure best practices camp-wide for the Poyntelle community.
- We will keep gathering information and make final decisions on protocol for camp based on the most up to date guidelines and safety measures set forth by the scientific and medical communities, such as the CDC and the PA Department of Health.
We are energized and very excited to be planning an amazing and safe summer. We can’t wait to see those smiling faces at Poyntelle!
We hope this update finds you safe, happy and healthy. When we updated you last month, we wanted to share the important steps we had taken to date in order to make camp a safe place for our campers to thrive, have fun and be outdoors with friends and counselors. There’s more work and research to do, however with the vaccination rollout ramping up, we are very hopeful that this summer will be an important step in returning our children to a sense of normalcy. This month, we wanted to share a few more important updates on COVID protocol as well as camp programming and operational logistics.
HOW WILL MEALS WORK?
In order to safely serve meals each day, we will continue hosting multiple seatings in order to safely spread everyone out. Additionally, we have purchased a very large tent that will be permanently set up outside for additional seating. We are also planning meal deliveries to bunks for “breakfast in bed!” We are also adding outdoor lunches and dinners which we know the kids love. Inside the dining hall, we have switched all of our AC filters to the MERV 13 pleated AC filters recommended for COVID-19 prevention. We have also installed UV lighting to the AC return to eliminate possible traces of the virus.
ARE WE STILL REQUIRED TO BUY LOGO’D SHIRTS?
Since we are not having the kids leave the property, we are not requiring you purchase any specific logo’d items. We understand many kids will still want a few pieces of Poyntelle clothing and you can purchase these on our site at www.thecampspot.com. The packing list and luggage portfolio email is going out no later than Monday, March 8.
TESTING PROTOCOL REQUIREMENTS
While we are still finalizing our choice of companies, we know we will be requiring a PCR test 5 days prior to camp arrival. We will be issuing a Rapid test on day 1 of camp and another PCR test 5 days into the summer.
TELEMEDICINE PLATFORM & MOBILE X-RAY
In the time of COVID, it is increasingly more dificult to lock down MDs for camp. While we are planning to still have doctors for however long our current physicians are available, we are adding an extra layer of coverage by introducing telemedicine service through our partnership with ProHealth NY. They are a large medical company out of New Hyde Park, NY and our family’s personal doctor has been part of their organization since it’s inception. Utilizing their telemedicine platform will grant us access to doctors, including specialists every day of the week with a 5-10 minute turnaround time for appointments. This allows us to not break our bubble when a child needs a prescription such as antibiotics, prescription creams, etc. To learn more about ProHealth, please click HERE.
Additionally, we have signed on with TridentCare which provdes mobile x-rays. This is essential as it allows us to keep our campers/staff out of the emergency room for x-rays. Obviously, anything urgent will still go to the hospital but for the jammed fingers and light sprains, we can have an x-ray performed, read by a radiologist and then send the film on CD to your personal physician at home to review as well.
We are very happy to annouce that our enrollment is strong and actually better than where we were when COVID hit this time last year. Currently, the interest in Poyntelle is greater than we have previously seen and we are confident that we will be closing out multiple age groups by May.
LEWIS VILLAGE & TEENAGE LIFE
It’s always fun to talk about teenage life at camp! Their needs and wants are different, with some being more complex and others being super simple. With all of the hard work we are doing to create a safe environment this summer, we don’t want to forget that our LV kids still need to be teengers which means they need special, unique and creative programming to keep them engaged and excited about being older campers in our community. There are obviously challenges to this for the coming summer due to COVID-19. We have been critically thinking about how to add different elements to help meet their expectations. Here are some things we are currently planning, in addition to their regular activity day which will include all of the core, traditional camp activities and electives.
NEW AND DIFFERENT FOR TEENAGERS
- 3 new beautiful bunks
- Massive connected porch for bunks with lighting and seating areas
- Virtual programming/leadership development for LITs with Mainstages, Inc.
- LITs to work with Mainstages virtually on Clue, Color War Break and more!
- LV produced Poyntelle Podcasts
- Pizza oven for teens at night + canteen
- LIT use of their cell phones 3 nights per week
- Teen nighttime pool parties, campfires and indoor gym fun with special food deliveries from out of camp
- Special LV Variety Show for all of camp
- LV led electives of their choice (teens leading electives in a safe manner – this would require masks)
- Teen Zoom Pal program for prospective campers
- Teen led Social Media (video posts, photo uploads & blog – for them and all of camp)
- LV only campouts
- Virtual Fitness Classes
- Outdoor Grill Cooking Classes led by our Head/Sous Chef
- We are actively working on this list to include even more new things. A few ideas we are investigating our Escape Rooms, weekly Trivia Night tournaments and Virtual Pictionary against other camps in our area.
We plan to continue to update all of you monthly as the summer draws closer. As the world continues to change, we will as well. We look forward to keeping you all in the loop and excited for camp! If you have not yet enrolled, we strongly encourage you to do so quickly. Please visit us at ENROLL NOW to finalize your registration.
We are committed to giving our campers the safest and most exciting summer possible. It is what they need and deserve after such a tumultuous year. We are thrilled to be welcoming them back and can’t wait to see those smiling faces.